Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Museum of Contemporary Art - Taipei

A few weeks ago, I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Taipei. I put the pictures of facebook and flickr, but didn't post them on here. I wasn't impressed by the museum, it was very small, and favored abstract installation pieces over actual 'art'. As with some other museums I've been to, I felt like there was a huge cultural gap, and I wasn't aware enough of the country and its history to really appreciate anything. But, I got some good pictures.

This was an art installation. A room lit only by bright Fluorescent tubes mounted on two facing walls. A single hole in the walls projected chinese characters. Visitors were handed fans to hold up to the holes, so they could read the writing.




This room was nearly pitch black. There was a giant pool of ink in the center, and on one side were spools of paper and brushes, for visitors to write Chinese calligraphy on.



This exhibit featured a metal sheet that had been beaten with a hammer. On the opposite side were small glass hearts in different colors and designs. I thought the wall would make for a good self-portrait.


These two girls had the same idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment