Thursday, August 6, 2009

My new home - the Raohe Night Market


I moved into a new apartment last weekend. Its directly above a busy night market. I joked to a few friends that I was moving onto the set of Blade Runner (the famous 80's-futuristic sci-fi movie). The market is usually filled with people, and has more then 100 shops selling anything from squid-on-a-stick to bras to puppies to knockoff tshirts. It makes for a colorful place to live.

This is the entrance. the whole street is closed in the evening, and filled with stands.


Statues of owls, the market's mascot, guard the entrance, next to fake trees with LED lights for leaves.


The market is packed with vendors. I get the feeling that most of them make their living here, sleeping most of the day, then preparing food to sell in the afternoon.


Glowing lights, and rows of merchandise line the streets.




This was some kind of game for kids. I'm not sure what they won after they caught the fish. Maybe they keep them as pets.


There are a few pet stores , cuteness knows no borders.


Tshirts and signs with broken or ill-advised english are everywhere. I'm probably going to do most of my gift shopping here.


This was a kind of massage booth. People pay to be beat on the head with a bundle of straw sticks. I was told that it's relaxing, but I can't imagine how.


Right outside the market there is a beautiful temple. It was closing when I got there, so I didnt get many pictures. I'll have to go back during the daytime.



The Keelung river runs just north of the market. The city has built a walking/biking park on its banks, and a few impressive foot bridges across it.

This is the view from the roof of my building. I go out here to smoke. When the sky is clear, I can see mountains in the distance.




I'm definitely going to shoot more of the market and the area. There is a typhoon approaching the city, so its probably going to rain the next few days. For the meantime, I'm stuck inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment